I eat this black rice pudding as a snack, dessert, or breakfast. I have a pretty insatiable sweet tooth, but I'm sensitive to gluten and dairy, which rules out a lot of delicious desserts. This recipe is vegan, creamy, and satisfying, thanks to the coconut milk (get the fresh kind and freeze until you are ready to use) I love black rice, which has all the health-promoting properties of brown rice, but with the added benefit of anthocyanin, a plant-based pigment that gives the rice its gorgeous deep purple color and its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- 1 cup forbidden black rice (best if soaked 12-24 hours in 4 cups filtered water)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups of water
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- Sliced banana (or mango)
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Almond milk
- Coconut nectar or coconut sugar to taste
- Drain and rinse black rice.
- Place in a heavy-bottomed medium pot and add coconut milk, almond milk, water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Stir porridge every 15 minutes, then more frequently toward the end of cooking to prevent sticking.
- Add more almond milk or water to get the desired consistency, and stir in sweetener if using.
- Spoon into bowls, top with sliced banana, toasted coconut, a drizzle of almond milk, and sweetener of your choice.